In 1983, I set out to hike the length of the relatively new Alpine Track that traversed the Victorian Alps. I didn't make it the whole way, mainly because of sore feet, and hitch-hiked home from Mt Hotham. The Alpine Track was later extended into New South Wales and became known as the Australian Alps Walking Track. In retrospect, I learnt lessons from this hike about planning, tolerance of discomfort, and focus that benefited me in all of my subsequent adventures.

Pages

Australian Alps Walking Track - Mt Erica Car Park to Whitelaw Hut Site

Day: 001
Date: Tuesday, 6 December 1983
Start: Mt Erica Car Park
Finish: Whitelaw Hut Site
Daily Kilometres: 16.7
Total Kilometres: 16.7

Journal:
Left Mt Erica Car Park at 2:12pm with Geoff Nicholls, who had driven me from Melbourne.  Walked to Mt Erica (5km) through lush vegetation and eerie fairy-tale rock formations.  Geoff turned back and I walked on across Baw Baw plateau in mist and drizzle.  No views, but quite pleasant.  Got tired near end, but still made it to Whitelaw Hut (burnt out) by 7:30pm. Decided to stop.  17km for day not bad.  Rain getting heavier.  Put up tent (fly wrong way, first time) and had muesli and crackers sheltering inside.  Made tomorrow’s scroggin.  Went to sleep about 9:30pm.  Rain still heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment