In 1983, I set out to hike the length of the relatively new Alpine Track that traversed the Victorian Alps. I didn't make it the whole way, mainly because of sore feet, and hitch-hiked home from Mt Hotham. The Alpine Track was later extended into New South Wales and became known as the Australian Alps Walking Track. In retrospect, I learnt lessons from this hike about planning, tolerance of discomfort, and focus that benefited me in all of my subsequent adventures.

Pages

Australian Alps Walking Track - Near The Twins to Mt Hotham

Day:  009
Date:  Wednesday, 14 December 1983
Start:  Near The Twins
Finish:  Mt Hotham
Daily Kilometres:  10.9
Total Kilometres:  214.5

Journal:
Woke up at 6:00am and on road at 7:40am.  Lyre bird outside tent.  Walked to top of Hotham (11km) quite quickly in fog most of the way, but cleared at summit for good views.  Decided to hitch from there as feet showing signs of getting very sore again.  Got a lift to Harrietville, another to Bright, another to Glenrowan and finally another to Benalla.  From there, after a two-hour wait, I caught the 5:50pm train to Melbourne, getting home at about 8:30pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment